Intertidal surveys are frequently required where a proposed scheme or project may border or potentially affect the shoreline or intertidal environment. This may include infrastructural developments (coastal protection, harbours, pipelines etc), amenity developments or waste licensing applications.
ECOFACT will provide expert advice on the requirements and design of intertidal sampling studies to meet the needs of the client’s project.
ECOFACT can complete intertidal surveys to include the following:
- Mapping of Annex I listed intertidal habitats including large shallow inlets and bays, mudflats and sandflats and salt marsh habitats
- Shoreline transects recording intertidal epifauna and invertebrate infauna following standard JNCC methodologies
- Quality controlled sample processing and identification of marine fauna and flora, to species level as appropriate, to allow for accurate community classification
- Intertidal habitat mapping following both Fossitt (2000) and the MNCR biotope mapping classifications
- Water quality monitoring for discharges, excavations and construction works in sensitive environments
- Intertidal algal community surveys
- Intertidal quadrat and core sampling surveys
- Shallow water and intertidal fisheries assessments