Bat Surveys Ireland – ECOFACT is Ireland’s leading independent provider of bat surveys and bat consultancy services. We are fully qualified to carry out a range of bat surveys, with all staff having undergone specialist ecological training modules, in conjunction with extensive, in-house project experience.
ECOFACT staff contribute to annual monitoring of bat species organised by Bat Conservation Ireland, the national umbrella organisation for the conservation of bats. However, note that we are independent consultants and are not associated with any bat group.
Bat surveys offered by ECOFACT include:
During our bat surveys we also employ the latest technology, including the use of Anabat Bioacoustic Systems. These ultrasonic recorders can be left on a site for an extended period to increase the amount of data collected, while minimising the number of ecologist hours required. A week’s survey records from several locations on a site can, for example, be analysed in a matter of hours.
Examples of projects that may require bat surveys:
- Renewable energy developments, including wind energy and small hydro schemes
- Road projects and other infrastructure projects, including maintenance schemes
- Refurbishment or redevelopment of existing buildings and private houses
- Land clearance which may require the removal of trees or derelict structures
- Tree felling or landscaping works
- Works on bridges
- Works which may affect underground features i.e. caves or swallow-holes.
- Flood schemes, and arterial drainage maintenance schemes.
See this link for more information on bat surveys for buildings.
See this link for more information on bat surveys at wind farm sites.
ECOFACT can provide expert services for the procurement of derogation licences for proposed developments, which will require scientific surveys and robust mitigations for the protection of bat species and their conservation status. Where there is no satisfactory alternative a licence to remove a bat roost may be granted; ECOFACT have successfully dealt with bat roosts under licence from the NPWS. We have also designed landscaping and artificial roosts for a number of bat species, including Lesser Horseshoe Bats.
For information on bat legal protection, see our mammal protection legislation page.
Terrestrial mammals other than bats are covered on our non-volant mammal page.