Onshore Wind Energy
The variability and diversity of ecological baseline conditions at onshore wind energy sites requires a strategic and solutions-based approach to undertaking baseline surveys and addressing the needs of ecological impact assessment. ECOFACT have provided targeted baseline ecological survey services and ecological impact assessments for onshore wind energy project in upland sites in the west & south west of Ireland and in Northern Ireland. We have also provided specialist surveys to meet the differing needs of low-lying wind energy developments in the Midlands; taking account of the site-specific conservation interests and environmental constraints.
Ecological survey and consultancy services we offer to the onshore wind energy sector include:
- Feasibility and ecological constraints reporting at site selection stage.
- A full suite of baseline ecological surveys to inform the requirements of EIA reporting.
- Water quality assessments and aquatic ecological surveys for protected aquatic species.
- Recommendations of standards and scoping of Surface Water Management Plans.
- Targeted bird surveys including Hen Harrier breeding surveys and wintering bird surveys.
- Bat surveys and monitoring, development of bat mitigation and bat management plans
- Development of Species and Habitat Management Plans for wind farm development sites and compensation lands.
- Ecological Impact Assessment reporting for inclusion in Environmental Impact Statements.
- Appropriate Assessment (AA) reporting and Habitat Regulations Assessments (HRA) for designated Natura 2000 sites within the study area.
- Public consultation and Expert Witness for wind farm developments
- Construction phase ecological monitoring / ecological clerk of works (ECoW)
- Post-construction and operational phase ecological monitoring for birds, bats and surface water management
We have provided ecological services from baseline survey through to expert witness for a number of successful onshore wind energy developments and are committed to maintaining our high professional standard and positive record in this sector.